Bring the Taste of the Bayou to the Dinner Table with Wholesome Pantry Shrimp
Bring a little bit of sunny, southern hospitality home with you by serving up any of these classic Cajun recipes for dinner this week!
Shrimp and Grits
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned white grits
- 4 oz Fontina cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb Wholesome Pantry large or jumbo raw shrimp, thawed
- Bring milk, water and 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt to boil in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat to low; simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cheese; stir until melted and grits are smooth. Keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Add wine; cook 5 minutes on medium heat or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. To serve, spoon grits onto serving plates. Top with shrimp mixture and serve.
Big Easy Jambalaya
- 1 lb skinless, boneless Wholesome Pantry chicken breast halves or thighs, chopped
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb white rice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs chicken bouillon granules
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb Wholesome Pantry large raw shrimp, thawed
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, sausage, onions, green onions, bell pepper, garlic and 5 cups water. Simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add rice, salt, red pepper flakes, bouillon granules, Worcestershire and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is done. If needed, add water to keep mixture from becoming dry. Stir in shrimp and cook until shrimp is opaque, 3 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Southern Shrimp Boil
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Crushed
- 6 oz andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into chunks
- 2 large ears fresh corn
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Creole Mustard
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Coarse Ground
- 1 lb jumbo Wholesome Pantry raw shrimp, thawed
- Pierce potatoes with fork. Microwave on HIGH 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, turning over halfway through cooking. Let stand 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Halve potatoes, then cut into 1/8-inch thick slices. Remove husks and silk strands from corn. Cut each ear into 4 pieces.
- Mix butter, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, paprika, black pepper and red pepper in large bowl. Add shrimp, corn, sausage and onion; toss to coat well.
- Place potatoes in even layer in 13x9x3-inch disposable foil pan. Top with shrimp mixture. Arrange shrimp so that they are at the top to avoid overcooking. Cover pan tightly with foil to prevent steam from escaping.
- Place pan on grill over medium-low heat. Close lid. Grill 20 to 25 minutes or until shrimp are pink and vegetables are tender.
- 4 tablespoons Wholesome Pantry butter, softened
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup ShopRite all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bottle clam juice
- 1 (14 oz) can ShopRite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ShopRite Worcestershire sauce
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Wholesome Pantry large shrimp, thawed
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for 7-8 minutes or until very tender and onion begins to brown, stirring frequently. Remove mixture and set aside.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter to the pot. Stir in flour; contine whisking mixture constantly for 6 minutes or until flour turns a deep brown color. Stir in Cajun seasoning, thyme, and clam juice to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Return onion mixture to the pot, along with diced tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce; simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Add green onions, salt, and shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until shrimp are done. Serve over rice if desired.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 cups sliced fresh okra (10 oz. okra sliced into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb Wholesome Pantry large shrimp, thawed
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, tomatoes, okra, cumin, cayenne, bay leaf and sausage. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.